Kadai chicken is a spicy North Indian dish and is a special one because it is one of those dishes that can be made with only one utensil. There is another version of this which belongs to Pakistan and known as Karahi (Kadai) chicken. The only difference is that the Indian version uses capsicum whereas the other does not.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 307
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 34g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 17g
Total Carbohydrates 23g
Dietary Fiber 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Chicken : 250 gm Cut into small pieces
- Dry red chillies : 5 nos
- Cinnamon : 2-3 pieces
- Cloves : 5 nos
- Cardamom : 2-3 pieces
- Peppercorns : 15 nos
- Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds : 1 teaspoon
- Green chilly : 2 nos
- Ginger paste : 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste : 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri methi : 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves : 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- Salt : To taste
- Oil : 1 tablespoon
- Heat the pan and dry roast all the spices that is dry red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds.
- Grind the dry roasted spices to a coarse powder and the kadai masala powder is ready.
- Marinate the chicken pieces for 15 to 30 min with 1 teaspoon of kadai masala and salt.
- Heat a kadai and add oil, saute the finely chopped onions in it.
- Add garlic paste and ginger paste and saute well.
- Add turmeric powder and saute well.
- Add the green chillies and kadai masala (1 teaspoon) and sate well.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, mix well.
- Cover and cook stirring in between till the tomatoes are mashed well.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well.
- Cover and cook the chicken till done stirring in between.
- Add kasuri methi leaves by slightly crushing it with the hands and mix well.
- Add the diced capsicum to it, mix well and check for the seasoning and add salt if required.
- Cover and cook stirring in between for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with chappathis, rotis and even goes well with rice.