Crossiants are buttery, flaky, viennoiserie pastry named for its crescent shape. Croissants and other viennoiserie are made of a layered yeast-leavened dough. The dough is layered with butter, rolled and folded several times in succession, then rolled into a sheet, in a technique called laminating. The process results in a layered, flaky texture, similar to a puff pastry.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 912
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 104g
Saturated Fat 63g
Trans Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 27g
Total Carbohydrates 242g
Dietary Fiber 9g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Refined flour 2 cups (300gms)
- Yeast 3/4 tablespoon
- Sugar 3 tablespoon
- Warm milk 200ml
- Butter 100gms (1block)
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg yolk beaten with a teaspoon of milk
- -Add half of the milk to a stand mixer bowl
- -Add the yeast and sugar to that.
- -Cover and leave the mixture for 10 minutes.
- -Add the flour and the milk gradually
- -Knead until the dough comes together .
- -Cover the bowl and let it rest until the dough is doubled.
- -Take the dough out onto floured surface and cut into 9 pieces. You can use a scale to make sure each piece is close to the same size as the others (for even layers).
- -Roll out the dough into rounds
- -Spread the round with butter,
- -Roll out another piece of dough and place it on top of the last buttered piece. Stretch dough to fit over bottom piece. Press down lightly to adhere.
- -Repeat Steps until all dough and all butter has been used.
- -Once this is done, press down lightly on all layers, then cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- -Remove from freezer and roll out dough to a bigger size
- -Cut into 8 wedges with pizza cutter
- -Roll up each piece, beginning with the wide edge, starting out by rolling each side of the notch first and then continuing with the rest of the croissant. Rolling like this keeps the center from being too thick, as the sides at the notches tend to roll out and away.
- -Place on parchment covered baking sheet and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30min.
- -Brush with egg yolk mixed with a tbsp of milk.
- -Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC (350ºF)for 20 minutes or until golden brown.